Chapai nawabganj is a district of Bangladesh under the administration of Rajshahi division located in between 24˚22’ to 24˚57’ North latitudes and between 87˚55’ to 88˚23’ east longitude. The total area of the district is 1703 sq km with the population of 16,47,521. There are five upazilas of the district Bholahat Upazila, Gomastapur Upazila, Nachole Upazila, Nawabganj Sadar Upazila and Shibganj Upazila with four municipalities Nawabganj Sadar, Shibganj, Rohanpur and Nachole. Chapai Nawabganj District is bordered by Maldah district of West Bengal to the north, the Padma River to the South, Rajshahi and Naogaon to the east, and Maldah district of west Bengal to the West.Main rivers of the district are Padma, Mohanonda, Punarbhaba, Tangon, Maragada, Pagla, Nondaguja etc.
The name of the district “Chapai Nawabganj” was named very recently. It was named in 2001 and previously known as Nawabganj only. Before the British rule the place was the vacation spot for the nawabs of Murshidabad. They used to come here for hunting. Historians believe that the name nababganj was given during the rule of alivardi khan in 17th century. When British rule started many people migrated here and made the area very busy and populated. There was a post office named Chapai and the place was popularly known as “Chapai Nawabganj”. There is a belief that the area was named after a dancer “Champa Bati” or “Champa Rani” or “Champa Bai” who was very popular to the nawabs who visited the place to enjoy the dance of her. The district was one of the sub divisions of the former rajshahi district. Chapai nawabganj was the part of the ancient gaur capital. The region has strategic and commercial importance for its location. The place has great importance to the people of archaeological interest. This region was the capital of Bengal during the ancient time and the boundary of Gour was changed in different ages since 5th century BC. After the Guptas , king Sasanka of Karnasubarna ruled independently for more than three decades. After the 12th century the area was ruled by the Muslims for the next five centuries. After the battle of plassey in 1757 the British rule was started. In a battle on 6 october 1971 was fought between the freedom fighters and the Pak army at Shikarpur where 200 freedom fighters were killed. On 10 October in 1971, the Pak army brutally killed 47 persons of villages. There are 3 mass graved and two mass killing site in Chapai Nawabganj.
Chapai nawabganj is mainly a plain land with rivers. The whole district is blessed with fertile land and river making it great for irrigation. The district is called the capital of mangoes in Bangladesh. Most of the land of the region is full of mango orchard and it is the main economy sector of Chapai nawabganj.
Average literacy rate of the district is 35.9%. remarkable educational institutions are Chatrajitpur Senior Madrasa (1944), Radhakantapur Senior Madrasa (1950), Adina Fazlul Haque College (1938), Nawabganj Government College (1955), Nawabganj Government Mohila College (1966),Chadlai Government Primary School (1919), Nachole Primary School, Nawabganj Alia Kamil Madrasa (1964),Rohanpur Yeasuf Ali College (1967), Kansat Soleman Degree College (1968), Nachole Degree College (1972),Harimohan Government High School (1895), Kansat High School (1917), etc.
The area in encroached with folk and culture and most notable are Ghambira gaan, a special form of songs.
Noted places to be visited are including Choto Sona Mosque, One of the most graceful monument of the Sultanate period, Rajshadin Gaur of Bokhtier Khalgi, Graveyard and Mango Orchard of Shah Neamot Ullah, Adina College and Idrishi Bhaban etc.