Faridpur is a district in south-central Bangladesh under the administration of the Dhaka Division. It is bounded by the Padma River to the northeast. The name of the district was adopted from the municipality of Faridpur. It was historically known as Fatehabad. Faridpur is one of the poor districts of the country. It was a shipping and railway center during British rule. Faridpur is historically important for its medieval and colonial architecture. Total area of the district is 2072.72 sq km and the population is 1756470. Faridpur District was formed in 1815 and Faridpur Municipality was established in 1869.
The town was known as fatehabad located by the dead Padma 20 miles from the main spot of Padma River. Fatehabad was established by the sultan jalaluddin Muhammad shah in the 15th century. Fathabad continued to be the mint town until 1538 before going under the rule of Mughal emperor. It was later named as Haweli Mahal Fathabad during the reign of Emperor Akbar. Fathabad was a strategically an important base in south and southwestern Bengal. It was a well-developed urban center and home of important Mughal government officials, including generals, civil servants. The control of the area was taken by the local zamindars Satrajit and Mukund resisting the Mughal government and renamed to Faridpur in honor of the Sufi saint Shah Fariduddin Masud, a follower of the Chishti order of Ajmer. The Faridpur District was established by the British in 1815 and the municipality of Faridpur was established in 1869. The subdivision covered modern day Faridpur, Rajbari, Madaripur, Shariatpur and Gopalganj District and known as Greater Faridpur. It was included in Eastern Bengal and Assam during the British rule. Faridpur was connecting the Bengal Provincial Railway and the Eastern Bengal Railway, with Calcutta and the important Goalanda ghats, from where ships travelled to Colonial Assam and British Burma. British Faridpur was the birthplace of several nationalist leaders of the subcontinent, including Ambica Charan Mazumdar, Humayun Kabir, Maulvi Tamizuddin Khan and Sheikh Mujibur Rahman. Haji Shariatullah started the conservative Faraizi movement in Faridpur during the early 19th century.Faridpur experienced heavy fighting during the Bangladesh Liberation War in 1971. In 1984 President Hussain Muhammad Ershad divided the greater Faridpur into five districts.
Faridpur is an important center of jute trade and hilsha fish. There were numerous jute mils in faridpur and the number has decreased by now. There are also some sugar mills and 50 MW power plants. The under-construction Padma Bridge is predicted to highly upgrade the economic activities in the District.Faridpur is an important hub of the Bangladesh Railway, with the connections to the Indian Railway in West Bengal. Ferries and ships are used in terms of inter-district transport by people and businesses in Faridpur District. Agriculture is the main source of economy of the district and the main crops are jute and rice. There many other crops also produced like peanut, wheat, oilseed, pulse, turmeric, onion, garlic and coriander. Among many fruits some are notably mango, jack fruit, blackberry, date palm, coconut, betel nut, papaya, banana, and guava. There are over 1000 poultry and dairy industries in each sector. Fishing is a major occupation for the people of the district. Wholesale and retail outlets are the largest tertiary sector with 228 markets. Many industries in the private sector include Aziz Pipes, Karim Jute Mills, Faridpur Sugar Mills, Nur Plastics and BS Jute Mills.
There are several state owned colleges in Faridpur. Some prominent institutions are Rajendra College (1918), Faridpur District School (1840), George Academy (1911), Bakiganj Islamia Madrasa (1922), Hitoishi High School (1889), Bhanga Pilot High School (1889), and others.
There are many place of historical interest in faridpur and some of them are Faridpur Museum, Faridpur Medical College Building, Giyandia Railway Bridge, Faridpur Circuit House, Ruins of an old haveli, House of Ambica Mazumdar.